Urban Communities is about people, places, partnerships and practice.
We assist people by providing a wide range of services, we create great places to live, we facilitate partnerships within our communities and we aim to continuously improve our practice.
The members of our team have extensive and varied experience working in the public and private sectors and our office is located at the heart of the communities in which we work. This location ensures we are constantly up-to-date with the events happening around us and allows us to quickly respond to the needs of residents.
Urban Communities works with government, business and community to create great places to live and maximise the supply and quality of affordable housing for low-income households. We are a not for profit with a business mind, reinvesting profit back into the community.
Urban Communities had its origins in the redevelopment of the Kensington Public Housing Estate. The Estate was identified as an area that would benefit from a shift to a mix of public and private homes - a change that would physically and socially integrate the estate back into the surrounding suburb of Kensington. The Redevelopment project was launched in 2002.
Urban Communities evolved from a joint partnership between the Victorian State Government and a developer who shared a vision for on site (place) management and an integrated approach to public and private housing at Kensington, creating a vibrant and connected community. The concept of place management and the building of a community was embraced as important as the built form.
Urban Communities was incorporated in 2007. The same year we gained our Real Estate licence.
We have seven core beliefs that summarise what Urban Communities works towards:
- We believe that a physical build needs to be supported by a community build.
- We understand and believe in the importance of providing a central hub or conduit for discussion and action across all aspects of physical and community development and place management.
- We believe we are best placed to pilot and document a best practice ‘place management model’.
- We believe in increasing opportunity for disadvantaged communities.
- We believe it is necessary to improve urban environments in order to promote community integration and participation.
- We believe in enhancing the social, environmental and economic sustainability of our neighbourhoods.
- We believe in equality for all.
We pride ourselves on our core beliefs – beliefs that are embraced and upheld by everyone working with us.
Our goal is to create a vibrant and cohesive community.